[Development] setting default widgetStyle (and ColorScheme)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 21:23:01 UTC 2015

Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:

>> A priori users should then still be able to use Qt's native Macintosh "aqua"
> theme by selecting it as their KDE widget style.
>
> I think it should do that automatically anyway. I wouldn't want to install
> System Settings to begin with, let alone manually choosing the platform-native
> look.

The frameworkintegration fw is optional, right? I don't mind having to take an
additional step to get a theme that's not the platform native one (I'd be
installing systemsettings5 anyway, but I can also edit kdeglobals directly), but
I do mind having to request my theme of choice each time I launch an
application. That'd be a regression from KDE4. So if the easiest solution is to
let that framework play a similar role on OS X as it plays on other Unices
(improve look&feel integration) or alternatively to leave it uninstalled, then I
think that's an acceptable compromise.

Yes, I'm aware that it'd be a similar role that works in the opposite direction,
but that's because on OS X it's Qt that attempts to integrate with the OS's
visual style.

Note also that I do not have any reason to believe for now that the issues that
existed in KDE4 with the Mac native (aqua theme) have resolved themselves auto-
magically in Qt5, which is one reason why we have been advising QtCurve as the
theme of choice on OS X. I also have no reason to believe that there will be
more motivation among Qt developers to figure out the cause of those issues than
there was with KDE4/Qt4.