Review Request 126161: OS X housekeeping

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:41:18 UTC 2015

Alex Merry wrote:

> If I recall rightly, it's a speed thing. kdeinit pre-loads some
> libraries common across most KDE applications (eg: Qt5Core and Qt5Gui,

Ah, right. Dive in too deeply and you can forget about underlying reasons.
The real underlying mechanism is of course (IIUC) the fact that there's only 1
kdeinit5 instance running, meaning that each dlopen is only done once.

Makes you wonder what happens when it gets to dlopen a new version of a shared
library, or one that's compatible with a library that was already loaded. But
that's a different topic, one that clearly cannot arise on OS X.

R.