kpackage: reasons not to use ecm_mark_nongui_executable?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 12:39:37 UTC 2015

Aleix Pol wrote:

> That's what the macro does, nothing more:
>     set_target_properties(${_target}
>                            PROPERTIES
>                            WIN32_EXECUTABLE FALSE
>                            MACOSX_BUNDLE FALSE
>                          )

Right ... I guess I could have checked that myself, the answer is clear from the
code. Just setting MACOSX_BUNDLE to false doesn't change anything in the
libraries or runtimes that are linked in (as I guess WIN32_EXECUTABLE->FALSE)
does. So the resulting executable shouldn't be any less GUI-capable unless the
project's cmake code checks for the MACOSX_BUNDLE setting.

NB: I experimented with a modification of KDE4's NOGUI property, letting it
control the GUIEnabled argument of the KApplication or KCoreApplication
ctor.That works as expected, except that not all applications declared NOGUI are
well-behaved (some at least try to get keystrokes for instance, which arguably
requires a connection to the system's GUI runtime).

R.