kf5 frameworks autotest alters KDE4 desktop workspace settings?!

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:34:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been building KF5 frameworks to install under /opt/local on a KUbuntu 14.04 host running a KDE4 desktop, using the same packaging scripts I'm developing for Mac OS X (MacPorts; evidently with some modifications for using them on Linux). I'm not patching the source code except where that's unavoidable.

After running certain autotests (make test in the build directory) working remotely, I found my KDE4 desktop with the number of virtual desktops reset to 1. I am suspecting the kwindowsystem autotests.
Is this possible or indeed to be expected?

Supposing this is because KF5 will by default use the same user configuration/preferences directory as KDE4 (~/.kde), where is this path defined, and what is the best/official way to change it to a dedicated path? For KDE4 one could set KDE_DEFAULT_HOME to the desired location when building kdelibs4; where has this been moved with KF5?

Thanks,
René