Kross module loading is broken since KF5.0.0

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:42:42 UTC 2015

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 3. Make module names case insensitive. This can be implemented in
>> Kross framework by listing and filtering directory contents instead of
>> checking for a specific file. It will be slower and this looks like a
>> hack to me.
>
> I would go for this one. It's trivial to implement and the speed
difference
> would be minuscule.

Hi Vishesh and others,

You are right it's easy to implement and will not be slow, but
a. This puts us in a ridiculous position where we are slaves of naming
conventions. Easy-going users will shoot us down in flames.
b. I don't like case insensitive names in programming for the same reason
identifiers are case sensitive in most programming languages: as soon as
there's no rule, anyone is free to spell it "forms", then "FORMS" and
finally "fOrMs".

It seemed like all three solutions are equally bad, but I finally found an
excuse to ignore the library naming convention: Kross modules are not C++
libraries, they are _plugins_.

Notice that the rule "Library names are in CamelCase" goes in section
"Frameworks buildsystem is consistent", thus it is meant to beautify
CMakeLists.txt files where you may want to link to KF5 libraries. But
nobody will ever link to a Kross plugin bypassing the standard loader for
Kross modules.

That said, I think it should be absolutely fine if we rename all Kross
modules back to lowercase spelling and be happy again.

What do you think?

--
Alexander Potashev