Install location of myframework_version.h headers

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed May 13 06:37:19 UTC 2015

On Monday 04 May 2015 14:11:14 Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2015 13:11:05 David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > Correct, this is what KArchive does.
> >
> > Ooops, I thought we were talking about the generated export header.
> >
> > You are right, all the version headers are in include/KF5 directly.
> >
> > I think this is an oversight. Well, I did see it and didn't think it would
> > be a problem, but I think the only real reason I didn't move that one when
> > moving all other headers under $FRAMEWORK is that version headers are
> > installed by the toplevel CMakeLists.txt while I was working on the
> > CMakeLists.txt for the libs themselves.

Right, and I just noticed a problem I didn't think of before: There's no
$PREFIX/include/KF5/$myframework/ where I could install
${myframework}_version.h into for some of the frameworks :)

KConfig for instance has two libs, but only installs a single version header.
- $PREFIX/include/KF5/KConfigCore/...
- $PREFIX/include/KF5/KConfigGui/...
- $PREFIX/include/KF5/kconfig_version.h

Now in order to "move" kconfig_version.h to a proper location, I'd have to
install both a kconfigcore_version.h and kconfiggui_version.h  to their resp.
locations:
- $PREFIX/include/KF5/KConfigCore/kconfigcore_version.h
- $PREFIX/include/KF5/KConfigGui/kconfiggui_version.h

This would make the CMake code for installing the version header quite
different for those modules, so I'm wondering how to  proceed...

Cheers

> > I would be OK with *all* framework_version.h headers being installed under
> > include/KF5/$FRAMEWORK. I.e. change them all, not just one framework.
>
> Sure.
>
> > This is SC since apps using the framework do get the include path
> > automatically. The only exception I can think of would be if some cmake
> > code was trying to locate (and possibly parse) the version.h header, but
> > that sounds convoluted given that there are cmake variables with the
> > version numbers in them already, much much more convenient to use.
> >
> > In any case, do a full build of everything kf5 based (with a clean kf5
> > install dir) to make sure nothing breaks :-)
>
> Alright, thanks for the insight!
>
> Will post a review-request as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks

Hm, just gave this a try but then stumbled upon KConfig...

There are two modules