Versioning of Frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 11 12:42:05 UTC 2015

On Monday 11 May 2015 11:57:02 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> But that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be part of the same
> distribution mechanism.
> If you simply take a snapshot of all frameworks every month, then it
> shouldn't matter if
> they changed or not. If no change has been made, the version would
> simply stay the same.

Well, someone can fix a bug in master, but yeah, that means excluding a
"manual-versioning" framework if its version number is the same as last time.

The yaml file would get a new field versioning which can be auto or manual
(defaulting to auto), and the version-updating scripts would skip frameworks
with "versioning: manual", while the release scripts would grab these
frameworks (provided they have "release: true" of course), with additional
logic to skip them if the version is the same as last time.

This still creates a mess in the sense that the 'KDE Frameworks 5.11' release
might contain KImap 5.3, or no new version of KImap at all. So I still don't
like it, it makes things harder for people's understanding of versioning
(users, packagers, developers etc.).
But I can respect the maintainer's (=your) decision to make it work like that,
any version messup being on your shoulders.
If people complain too much about the inconsistent versioning, we can always
revisit, I'll have more arguments then :)

I'm not sure about the branch merging btw. It will not make it easy to
generate the list of changes since last time, which is supposed to be done by
a git log old..new script. If there's a big merge commit instead of 15 commits
then we don't get a changelog. Unless you write the full changelog in the
merge commit. Alternatively, you can just work in master. This alos avoids the
usual issue of "I have it all redone/fixed in my branch, no point in you
fixing bugs in the code you're currently using from master", which basically
kills any external contribution to one's code.

IOW manual versioning doesn't require that all changes should happen in a work
branch.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5