Versioning of Frameworks

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sun May 10 22:13:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 10, 2015, at 11:13 PM, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 10 May 2015 22:31:10 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > There I have Qt available, as Christian says, it feels like a system
> > library, our application is built on it.
>
> Well, I wish you would see KF5 as a natural extension of Qt, therefore "a
> system library" too, if you want to call it that.
>
> > Now from time to time we need some additional functionality. This is the
> > place where frameworks libraries could come in. The easier this is, the
> > better. Easy would mean that if I need kfoo, and this depends on
> > kcoreaddons and kwidgetaddons, I need to add only those three libs to my
> > build, and when kfoo has a bugfix I need, I don't have to automatically
> > update also kcoreaddons and kwidgetaddons, but only if this is really
> > necessary (i.e. kfoo started using functionality from newer versions).
>
> Then just grab the bugfix, or adjust the required-version if you see it
> doesn't need functionality from a newer version.
>
> > This indeed requires that maintainers carefully maintain which versions of
> > their dependencies are needed
>
> You realize that many frameworks don't have a maintainer, right?
> At least 17 have officially none, others might have an inactive one.

It's perfectly fine to continue doing what you do where noone is
offering to do the work.
I'd like to opt out of the version bumping practice for where I can do
the work.

> Are you volunteering, or just making demands for others to do work for
> you?

I'm volunteering to do the maintenance and release engineering for the
libraries that matter to me,
and I'm also prepared to work out a proposal on how to i.e. implement
that opt-out mechanism.

If such a change would make your job somehow more difficult I'd
definitely also work on that if you
tell me what breaks or just what you're release work currently is so I
can figure it out myself.

>From my perspective you could simply release from an always releasable
master and would get no additional effort.

Cheers,
Christian