Versioning of Frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat May 9 11:27:28 UTC 2015

On Saturday 09 May 2015 13:08:35 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> we pretend it's all independent libraries but still they all depend on the
> latest version of all other libs.

It's a question of the definition of "independent".

E.g. KCoreAddons and Solid are independent because you can use either one
without being forced to use the other. The fact that they are released
together doesn't change that.

KCoreAddons and KIO are partially independent because KIO depends on
KCoreAddons, but still there is a huge improvement there compared to the
kdelibs4 situation where such inter-library-dependencies were far too numerous
so it was basically all-or-nothing.

Having split two such libraries still helps tremendously, since one can use
KCoreAddons without using KIO. The fact that KIO-5.10 requires
KCoreAddons-5.10 is IMHO no different from the fact that QtGui-5.6 requires
QtCore-5.6. Are you saying that Qt didn't "go all the way" or didn't "split
properly" because of the fact that QtGui-5.6 requires QtCore-5.6?
(same thing with other Qt libs from other modules than qtbase, this isn't
limited to qtbase)

I still don't understand why this is fine for Qt and not for KDE Frameworks.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5