Versioning of Frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Tue May 5 19:23:01 UTC 2015

> > Ok, they are not that obvious too me. Wouldn't it be possible to add
> > something like maintainerManagesVersionOnItsOn=false to a file in all the
> > frameworks (isn't there already a file in each frameworks for stuff like
> > platforms, etc.?) and modify the release-scripts (David or anybody who
> > knows these scripts) once so that these scripts check this variable.
> >
> > So if it's set to false and most current maintainer seem to prefer not to
> > do
> > version bumps on their own the release scripts would bump the version
> > number and do all the stuff as they do now. If the variable was set to true
> > these scripts wouldn't bump the version numbers and just use the version
> > numbers as set by the maintainer?
> >
> > Or is this just naive thinking from my side that it's "that easy"?
>
> It would mean the end to the "product" frameworks we provide today. We would
> no longer release "60 addon libraries to Qt", but well maybe one month 20,
> the
> next one 40 and every one would have a different number of frameworks
> included. The versioning would be a complete mess: each framework having a
> different version number, some doing bug fix releases, some don't. What would
> it mean if I have KIO in 5.10 and KWindowSystem in 5.10? Is that from the
> same
> month or did KIO skip May and KWindowSystem the June release? Bug
> investigation would become close to impossible, just imagine asking the user
> to provide each of the versions of all dependencies of e.g. plasmashell. What
> is the message we give to the outside concerning release process and
> versioning? The best I can get from that is "we have no clue what we are
> doing". And users are currently already complaining that there is no "KDE"
> anymore, but that there are now three different version numbers for
> frameworks, plasma and applications. If we go with each framework a different
> number they have a point if they say that one cannot follow that.
Hi,

as ktexteditor framework and kate maintainer, I think, too, that if we start to go that way,
we will end in the version hell.

ATM it is easy to track: Ok, I have a bug for KTextEditor 5.9, that means all frameworks
used are at least 5.9, too.

Its already hard enough to track for bugs on the application side:

Ok, I have Kate from Applications 15.04 and it uses KF 5.9 ;=)

That was much easier in the "I have KDE 4.1.2" times, where all things were more or less fixed
in their version and one number is all you need ;=)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com