Versioning of Frameworks

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue May 5 11:46:16 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 05 May 2015 13:40:24 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2015, at 01:31 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> > > I think it's very good that you don't have to worry about the release
> > > cycle as a maintainer,
> > > and I'd like to keep it that way.
> >
> > I don't see how. See my questions further down.

> > > No, it just means that a frameworks release can contain the same version
> > > repeatedly if nothing has changed.
> >
> > and how exactly is the version going to change if there have been
> > commits?
>
> As the maintainer of the library I'd preparing the next release in a
> branch.
> If it is a bugfix release (e.g from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2), I'd merge that new
> version into master
> so it would be released with the next frameworks release.
> If would, in parallel to doing the bugfix releases for 1.6, prepare
> 1.7.0. Once the 1.7.0 has all planned features
> in and is sufficiently stable, I'd merge the 1.7.0 release into master
> so it gets released.
>
> > Currently this is done without the maintainer having to care about it.
> > With
> > what you suggest someone (being maintainer or release manager) has to
> > verify
> > otherwise it's possible that a commit goes into a release without a
> > change of
> > version number.
>
> If master is always releasable, you should indeed only merge into master
> with a change of a version number.
> If you don't want to maintain different versions for whatever reason
> (and I think that's an entirely reasonable choice),
> you can continue to automate this version bump. As long as I can exclude
> my library from the automatic version bumping,
> I see no problem at all. Having an automatic version bump as a
> requirement to be a framework is the problem IMO.

ok, I start to understand what you want to get: two different ways of
releasing frameworks. I think that's a very bad idea for obvious reasons I
hope I do not have to bring up here.

So far I assumed that you want to change the way how *all* frameworks are
released which would imply a significant work load to the maintainers as you
just explained yourself.