Versioning of Frameworks

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue May 5 10:09:42 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 05 May 2015 11:33:03 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> What the regular releases IMO should be doing, is to take the latest
> version from the "always releasable" master branch,
> and be done with it (and that means not touching the library version,
> because that's not the responsibility of the person who
> releases, it's the responsibility of the maintainer of the library).
>
> > - the fact that the workflow for frameworks (master always stable and
> > releasable) does not require a distinction between bugfixes and features,
> > like the KDE4 workflow required.
>
> I'm not suggesting to change that, I'm asking to not take the library
> version number away from maintainers
> that need it as a vital tool for their release management. The result of
> that release management will be a new version
> in the master branch which can essentially be blindly packaged.

Currently release management in KDE means that the release management does the
increase of version numbers with the help of automated tools. This means that
I as a maintainer of multiple components don't have to follow the release
cycles of all the different components. I normally don't know when
* frameworks tag
* kde-workspace tag
* applications tag

If you move the responsibility to increase version numbers to the maintainers,
I fear that we would have huge breakage. Just the fact that with the one-month
release cycle of frameworks a maintainer is no longer allowed to become ill
for more than three weeks or go on vacations for such a long time.

If such a responsibility would be moved to the maintainers I would immediately
step down as a frameworks maintainer, because knowing myself I would more
often forget about it than not. Also it would add an additional workload on my
shoulders, which I don't have time for. Automated tools are quite awesome to
increase version numbers. Thank you very much to not require me to do it
manually!

Cheers
Martin