What's the point of tiers if we bend the definition of them?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 07:21:22 UTC 2015

On Monday 16 March 2015 23:16:51 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> We have KPackage depending on kdoctools but since it's optional we pretend
> it's not a real dependency and call KPackage tier2
>
> What's in it for us other than lying to ourselves? What's so bad about
> KPackage being tier 3?
>
> It'd still have only 3 dependencies and be totally usable, no?

Maybe it needs to document both:
* without optional packages it's tier 2
* with optional packages it's tier 3

I can imagine that this will be interesting for more frameworks where it could
be that depending on which platform we run on it's a different tier
(kglobalaccel is currently tier 1 for non-X11, but tier3 on X11).

Cheers
Martin