KF 5.8 changelog

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 22:33:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, March 13, 2015 19:36:29 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 13 March 2015 19:15:21 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > > To everybody(and myself):
> > > please follow this advice, on any mayor change especially if needs a bit
> > > of
> > > back and forth in reviews, let's try to add CHANGELOG: in the commit,
> > > mkay?
> >
> > Not just "major changes". Basically all commits!
>
> not "basically all commits" case by case those that make sense. Or the noise
> makes the thinkg absolutely useless

Isn't the feature intended to aid those preparing release announcements, as
opposed to being fed directly to a webpage? In this case the noise would be
annoying perhaps, but still better than the situation previously where it was
difficult to come up with a promo-style release announcement in the first
place.

Our promo team can at least filter out the noise when they make the release
announcement, and interested power users would likely appreciate the fuller
list of changes. But it's hard to recover signal if we don't provide it,
especially weeks or even months after the feature/bugfix was first committed.

Still, it's a good point that we have to put thought into our CHANGELOG
entries. CHANGELOG entries on every commit would be just as useless as not
having those entries on any commit.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne