KDE/CI for KF5

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Mar 8 11:24:15 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

On 08 Mar 2015, at 04:05 , Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Not entirely. What we probably need is a better way for developers to
> communicate to people on the porting status.

yes, I guess so.

> The best way to do this would probably be through the build metadata -
> if the branch has been set then we can probably assume developers
> think it is ready.

Existence of the branch alone isn’t enough, as Christoph and I noticed.

> Anything being released needs to have CI really. If the tarballs end
> up on download.kde.org, it should be Green on CI first.

OK, everything with a tarball on download.kde.org? Well, I will integrate
such a check in my CI scripts.

> That is quite a bit of effort for little return.

You can say that again.

> Out of interest, what was the primary blocker to getting things to
> build? 140 seems quite high as a number….

Yes, that’s a lot, more general failures are due to

 - porting to KF5 not yet done
 - missing Qt stuff (e.g. Qt5GStreamer, Qt5WebEngine, AccountsQt5, SignOnQt5)
 - QCA2 (even a problem on Linux)

and OSX-specific:

 - some dependency on X11
 - issues with the correct location of libs installed through MacPorts
 - missing dependencies on MacPorts
 - Apple’s clang not supported
 - linking issues

I have left a few comments in my "tier 5" list of projects [1] and more
outdated on [2].

> Anything in Extragear, Frameworks or kde/* should be covered by CI
> really. If it can't build, we need to fix that.

OK. Everything IS a lot, too much in fact, so we need to focus! This must
be helped by the project developers themselves. I think every project
should cross-check against Christoph’s site [3] and verify the fairly
detailed - automagically determined - porting status information.

What about introducing a status change notification feature for [3]?
That way the CI team could get informed once a project newly arrives or
somehow updates (by e.g. removing kdelibs4support) on KF5? I think this
would be a real help for a more effective KDE/CI.

Greets,
Marko

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fwebsites%2Fbuild-kde-org%2Fkaning%2Fmp-osx-ci.git&a=blob&h=d582668b5ddf434948b39257bf4db673b9f69add&hb=daa9eafdc6186a5a60cc46ac3dd9e23e5f76611d&f=tier5.fw

[2] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems/KDEMacPortsCI/Status/ProjectsBeyondKF5