Proposal: move KWalletManager inside KWallet framework

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sun Jun 14 05:24:28 UTC 2015

* Valentin Rusu <kde at rusu.info> [2015-06-13 18:29:46 +0200]:

> * Stefan Bruens <stefan.bruens at rwth-aachen.de> [2015-06-13 18:16:21 +0200]:

> > > I have pushed a  	kwalletd4_dbus_compat branch
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Stefan
> >

> > Valentin,
> >
> > have you had the chance to look into this?
>
> I'm currently looking into this. AFAICT, it looks good on my system but
> I'd also like to test it with the KDE4's KWalletManager

Ok, I did some testing and here are my findings.

kwalletmanager from KDE4 correctly connects to kwalletd5 if it's already
launched. After that, it correctly manages the wallets via kwalletd5.

However, if the kwalletd5 is not present when launching kwalletmanager,
then the old kwalletd is launched. And from this point on confusion
reigns, for the user, as we'll go back to the two daemons scenario.

We need to figure out a means to stop kwalletd from launching if:
- the kwalletd5 was installed
- the wallets were migrated

I see several options here. In all cases the kwalletd5 migration wizard
should do the necessary steps to deactivate the old kwalletd.

1. replace kwalletd with a link to kwalletd5

Pros: kwalletd code stays intact
Cons: requires admin rights if that cannot be done in $HOME/bin or
something like that.

2. modify the kdelibs/kwallet code to get kwalletd5 launched instead of
kwalletd upon dbus service instantiation if a special configuration file
is found in the user's $HOME/.config directory. That special
configuration file should be placed there by the migration wizard.

Pros: installed files stay intact, no admin rights required
Cons: requires patching KDE4 - however I think that's not a big problem.

In both cases user should be prompted to restart the KDE session in
order to get the old kwalletd out of the way.

Any thoughts about this?

--
Valentin Rusu
IRC: valir