date + releaseinfo in frameworks docbooks

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Thu Jul 30 06:21:44 UTC 2015

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2015, 23:32:19 schrieb David Faure:
> On Wednesday 29 July 2015 15:40:22 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > Hi Frameworks devels,
> >
> > a lot of frameworks manpage docbooks have wrong date entries (pre kf5) or
> > strange release entries like 0.01.01 or missing entry, see comments on
> > https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Documentation/KDE4_(health_table)#framew
> > orks
> >
> > I'd like to correct the date entry to the last change and the releaseinfo
> > entry to the corresponding version and use "Frameworks 5.x".
> >
> > Do you want me to file a RR for each affected frameworks repo or should I
> > simply change date/releaseinfo without RR?
>
> We could use cmake's configure_file to inject KF5_VERSION into the docbook
> file at compile time.

releaseinfo is extracted for translation which make sense so you can check if
a translated docbook is up to date with the original docbook

> Then the KF5 version would always be correct.

I doubt that together with code changes always the documentation is updated.
releaseinfo should hold the code version the docbook was written for or
updated only to after proofreading and verifying it is valid for the actual
version.

> The date is more problematic, do we really need it?

Yes, it helps to detect old/outdated docbook translations via scripts etc.
which is not possible because we still have releaseinfo data in docbooks like
eg Dolphin 2.2.
Is this docbook version of Dolphin from KDE 3 or 4 or from kf5?

--
Burkhard Lück