KEncodingProber vs "unexisting" codecs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jul 3 08:36:41 UTC 2015

On Friday 03 July 2015 01:18:33 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Question is, where do we want that? Do we want it on probing time so we
> don't  try to probe codecs that don't exist (for this installation), or
> should we actually mention in the docs that it may happen that the returned
> codec does not exist and thus you should check the result in the "caller"
> side?

Hmm, good point. If we get a "correct" result from the prober, but pointing to
an unavailable codec, the user is screwed. If on the other hand we return a
"second best guess" which is actually available, the user gets something.
It's not like we have knewstuff for codecs, recompiling Qt is a little bit out
of scope for most users :-)
So I guess it should be checked at probing time.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5