backwards compatibility & how namespacing might help or not

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 08:21:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> > So yes, a better way of moving thing arounds is needed, or maybe we just
>> > need
>> > the dust to settle a bit so that we realize where each thing really
>> > belongs
>> > and it'll hopefully fix itself?
>>
>> Waiting for the dust to settle is what I have been told for almost a
>> year now.
>

> Frameworks hasn't even been out for a year. 6 months isn't a lot of time.

Of course we've been integrating it for longer than that and the
difference between then and now is that back then things would move
inter-framework on a 2-3 weeks schedule, and now they do move across
entire release bundles on a bimestrial basis. There are almost 7
months worth of releases, but I am looking back at what appears like a
year of integrating things that are moving about. Of course my memory
might be giving in, who knows.

>> How much more dust can there possibly be? :P
>> The problem IMO is that supposedly the existing things will settle at
>> some point, that doesn't mean a new thing couldn't end up in some
>> plasma repo for 5.7 and then be moved into a framework 5.130 because
>> it suddenly fits better into frameworks.
>

> Are you trying to say that if something is once released part of Plasma it
> should never be part of KDE Frameworks?

No. I am saying that a new thing could appears in Plasma 5.7, gets
moved to Frameworks 5.130 2 years later and this move then had nothing
to do with settling dust.

> Also, this is going to happen again with KF 5.9.

Surely in a completely backwards compatible manner one hopes. :P

HS