Qt 5 buildability

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jan 9 09:41:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Jan Kundrát <jkt at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 January 2015 22:59:53 CEST, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>>
>> QtWebEngine won't build unless you have nss-devel installed (which it
>> complains about) but it also won't build unless libcap-devel is
>> installed (which it doesn't complain about - you only find out when
>> the compiler bails out on you).
>

> It's "documented" at their wiki page [1]. I agree that configure checking
> these deps is an obviously good thing and that nobody reads wiki pages.

Yep :)

1) A failure for QtWebEngine to find what it needs should just be
gracefully ignored, not result in a fatal build failure (unless it was
explicitly requested)
2) Having a dependency which no part of your configuration system
knows about is extremely bad.

>> The real big issue here though is none of this is integrated with
>> ./configure, and the failure in QtWebEngine is fatal. Can someone
>> please raise this with the Qt developers and get them to fix their
>> build system please?
>

> Nobody but you have full knowledge of the build environment that you use.
> Even if I forwarded your report, the Qt developers are likely to ask further
> questions which only you can answer. That's why it's important to eliminate
> as many middlemens from the bug reporting process as possible, IMHO.
>
> You should file a bug at their issue tracker.

The Qt project has been totally unreceptive to prior requests i've made.
Hence why i'd prefer this go through an intermediary - I can only
guess as to why I am ignored.

> Cheers,
> Jan

Thanks,