Compile KF5 into Docker

David Gil Oliva davidgiloliva at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 23:00:12 UTC 2015

Hi!

> Hi David,
>
> Le 04/01/2015 13:55, David Gil Oliva a écrit :
> > Hi!
> >
> > El dia 04/01/2015 12:39, "Mathieu Tarral" <mathieu.tarral at gmail.com
> > <mailto:mathieu.tarral at gmail.com>> va escriure:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> as you know, building KF5 from source may not be an easy task, due to
> >> build dependencies which may or may not be available for your distro.
> >>
> >> That's why I started to compile KF5 into a Docker container.
> >>
> >> This way you can keep your main system clean, and avoid to install a lot
> >> of *-dev packages.
> >>
> >> I would like to share a set of Dockerfiles which will build
> >> an image with all the necessary build dependencies already installed.
> >
> > Instead of a set of Dockerfiles, each one for a different distro, which
> > makes for a lot of duplicated code, could it be written in a single
> > Dockerfile which checks the OS and does as approppriate for that OS?
>
> Actually, a Dockerfile is just describing how to build a specific system
> image.
>
> It just gives the necessary instructions like DO something, then DO
> something else, and It has not been designed to receive parameters, nor
> handle conditions.

OK, I see. I was confused because I have a Chef background.

> Furthermore, you cannot merge these Dockerfile into one because their
> base systems are different (Ubuntu, Archlinux, OpenSuse, Fedora).
> The first instruction of each Dockerfile is FROM <base_system> and it
> cannot be configured.
>
> Having one Dockerfile per distro is nice, because you can see the
> differences between them, mostly for package naming and default packages
> installed.

Now that I understand how Docker works, I see why there's one Dockerfile
per distro.

> > Another issue that I see is the Qt version. Can we rely on always having
> > the needed version from the ubuntu-sdk-team repository?
>
> This repository provides packages for Qt5, in version 5.2.1
> It's not the latest version of Qt5, so one day you might have kf5 build
> issues because of this.
>
> But I haven't found an up-to-date repo for Qt5 yet.
> Maybe we should download Qt5 from qt.io in this case ?

I have found a Dockerfile [1] that can be tweaked to install any released
version of Qt5 from qt.io.

[1] https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rabits/qt/dockerfile/

Regards,

David Gil