Split kde-baseapps?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 15:41:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 November 2014 18:26:22 David Narvaez wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > > If it's useful to share it, let's share it, I have no objection to
> that.
> >
> > How should this be done? Can I just copy things around and post a RR
> > or should be this moved around by one of our git curators to preserve
> > history?
>
> AFAIK there are two ways. One where you replay the history using git
> filter-
> branch, there's a wiki page about how to do this (iirc from Alex Merry).
> The other way is to copy without history, but in the commit message you put
> the magic words (see first commit of any KF5 repo) which point to the orig
> repo and the orig sha1 this was taken from, and you check that the qt5 git
> graft script is able to graft (link) the history to the one of the orig
> module.

The small downside of grafting is that once you locally graft the new repo
to the original one, the original copy has to stay on your disk forever.
Removing the original repo from your disk when it's being grafted
by another repo then breaks that another repo (as in working with
git results in errors about missing stuff).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer