Required and supported Qt versions

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 08:08:16 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 30 December 2014 10:02:38 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 December 2014 21:50:40 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes - the (implicit) question was, what version of Qt do these point to
> > > ;-)
> >
> > kf5-qt5 = Qt 5.3.x
> > stable-kf5-qt5 = Qt "stable"
>
> Ah.
> Note that Qt no longer uses the branch called "stable", so it got stuck at
> some version between 5.3.1 and 5.3.2.
>
> So it seems to me that both of these configurations test pretty much the
> same thing, which seems a bit pointless :-)
>
> Maybe stable-kf5-qt5 should point to Qt 5.2. i.e. redefining "stable" as
> "min version". But then it will have to stop at frameworks, since e.g.
> plasma- desktop requires Qt 5.3. (Not sure why, since it builds fine with
> 5.2, but I guess this is about some runtime behavior issue? fd636f964d94 in
> plasma- desktop didn't give a reason).

the complete kde-workspace requires Qt 5.3 and I'm quite sure we have
components which do no longer build with Qt 5.2.

Anyway: kde-workspace is soon going to raise the requirement to Qt 5.4 and
when that happens the code will certainly no longer build with Qt 5.3 as KWin
already has ifdef'ed codepaths for 5.3 and 5.4.

Cheers
Martin