Framework Categories

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 19:53:08 UTC 2015

Hey frameworks developers,

Albert wrote a couple weeks ago:
> As far as i remember, functional means you can use it standalone, solution
> means it needs a daemon and integraion means it needs more stuff (more
> daemons?

Is this categorization correct? Has it been checked with a dependency
analysis to see that each functional framework is usable standalone? I
understood the tiers concept but never did get my head around the
functional/integration/solution concept yet, but would like to. At any
rate, I think KNewStuff which I'm very familiar with doesn't seem to be
usable standalone as the functional status it has implies. It depends on
and uses KIO for all network downloads and uploads, which requires a daemon
as far as I can tell (and is a solution) so should KNewStuff be changed to
a solution also probably?

thanks,
Jeremy