klauncher & .desktop Execs

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 11:34:08 UTC 2015

On Friday December 25 2015 09:57:05 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 December 2015 11:33:53 René J.V. Bertin

Bouncing this to the list.

> > Looking at `ps` output klauncher shows up as kcmshell5's parent process, does that mean we're looking at KLauncher::requestStart using QProcess::start() ?
>
> On OSX, yes, probably.

You wouldn't happen to know the reason by any chance?

> (on Linux klauncher asks kinit to fork+dlopen or fork+exec).

With the proper changes (still assessing them) that should work on OS X too, no? With the USE_KPROCESS_FOR_KIOSLAVES/QProcess::start I had to jump to a number of hoops and resort to calling the commandline AppleScript interpreter (osascript) to ensure that the launched process is started in front of the calling process. Not easy, as AppleScript isn't really designed for this so I also had to subclass QProcess to launch osascript in detached fashion and set a kill timer to get rid of it should it not complete within a reasonable time. Since kinit will use ObjC++ in my proposed patch it should be possible to achieve the same thing (process opens in front) directly using an appropriate API (AppKit).

I'll queue testing this on my todolist.

R.