about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

Caslav Ilic caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Dec 21 14:40:49 UTC 2015

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> I'm talking about coming to a random office in the world and finding my
>> language already available, without trifling anyone about it.
>
> [: René J.V. Bertin :]
> Out of curiosity: do you expect to use your language when communicating
> with people instead of computers, in any random office in the world? ;)

No. But if I got a babel fish, I'd expect it to work out of the box as well.

> In traditional disk/file system technology, files use an integer number of
> blocks [...]

This is what I thought before as well. Therefore I wrote "more disk blocks",
and not less specific "more space".

On my home desktop machine, /usr/share/locale takes 1.2 GiB on a 4k-block
disk, as reported by du, which sums size by occupied blocks. This is with
packages being installed and rarely removed since 2007, file system being
cloned through disk exchanges. Most machines would have much less. On my
office machine it takes 0.53 GiB. This is too little space to make it worth
introducing extra complexity in packaging, distribution, and selection of
packages for installation.

> As I said, I don't want to make a huge point of this.

Ok, but always good to put some number in, for future references.