Draft split for qpt plugin from frameworkintegration

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Dec 17 16:48:47 UTC 2015

forgot CC to plasma

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:32:48 PM CET Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > following up on [1] I have prepared a split of frameworkintegration to
> > move
> > the QPT plugin into a dedicated repository. You can find it in [2]. Please
> > have a look at the split repo to verify that it looks fine. If everything
> > is OK, I'll request a new repo from sysadmins.
> >
> > Some general notes
> > * new repo name: plasma-integration
> > * new plugin name: PlasmaDesktopPlatformTheme
> > * new src folder name: src/plasma-desktop-platformtheme
> >
> > Explaining the name changes:
> > The plugin is renamed to not conflict on install with the existing plugin
> > from frameworkintegration and also incorporating future changes Marco
> > pointed out: we need a different QPT plugin for mobile.
> >
> > How to remove the plugin from frameworkintegration:
> > After the split we cannot remove it from frameworkintegration yet as that
> > would break setups on the next framework release. Given that I plan to
> > only
> > phase it out: Introduce a cmake option to build and install it, which
> > defaults to true till at least Plasma 5.6 is released. Afterward swapping
> > the default to false, with a big fat warning and keeping it like that for
> > at least half a year. Then remove it. We don't provide any guarantees for
> > it, so we can remove it, but I want to keep the impact small.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
> >
> > [1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2015-December/
> > 029234.html
> > [2] kde:scratch/graesslin/platform-integration (https://quickgit.kde.org/?
> > p=scratch%2Fgraesslin%2Fplasma-integration.git )
>
> I have my doubts that we want a different QPT for desktop and mobile.
> If we want to provide any convergence we need to strive to have the
> same on both platforms.

Good point! Marco is right: we need different presets whether it's desktop or
mobile. You're right that different plugins would result in making switching
impossible. Sounds like the plugin would have to learn to switch at runtime.

Given that feedback I'm considering to not rename the directory.

Cheers
Martin