Draft split for qpt plugin from frameworkintegration

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Dec 16 15:12:51 UTC 2015

Hi all,

following up on [1] I have prepared a split of frameworkintegration to move
the QPT plugin into a dedicated repository. You can find it in [2]. Please have
a look at the split repo to verify that it looks fine. If everything is OK,
I'll request a new repo from sysadmins.

Some general notes
* new repo name: plasma-integration
* new plugin name: PlasmaDesktopPlatformTheme
* new src folder name: src/plasma-desktop-platformtheme

Explaining the name changes:
The plugin is renamed to not conflict on install with the existing plugin from
frameworkintegration and also incorporating future changes Marco pointed out:
we need a different QPT plugin for mobile.

How to remove the plugin from frameworkintegration:
After the split we cannot remove it from frameworkintegration yet as that
would break setups on the next framework release. Given that I plan to only
phase it out: Introduce a cmake option to build and install it, which defaults
to true till at least Plasma 5.6 is released. Afterward swapping the default
to false, with a big fat warning and keeping it like that for at least half a
year. Then remove it. We don't provide any guarantees for it, so we can remove
it, but I want to keep the impact small.

Cheers
Martin

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2015-December/
029234.html
[2] kde:scratch/graesslin/platform-integration (https://quickgit.kde.org/?
p=scratch%2Fgraesslin%2Fplasma-integration.git )