about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Wed Dec 16 12:46:08 UTC 2015

> [: René J.V. Bertin :]
> It seems that with KF5 we have gotten back in the situation where you get
> every possible language installed. Now that may be nice for the occasional
> office prank [...] something that has absolutely no use for the vast
> majority of users.

It has a use in every situation where multiple-language users work in a
centrally administered network. Like in... an office. My personal experience
in this regard is that whenever I sat at some machine of that type, I get
translated all software *but* the KDE software. And the unacceptable
overhead in that case is asking IT to do something about it.

> [...] but it'll end up amounting to a significant disk overhead (the one
> that comes with lots of small files) [...]

I don't think the disk overhead is significant. There are no loud complains
about other Gettext-using software, which normally comes with all
translations. To put it in perspective, a single contemporary high-budget
game will occupy much more disk blocks than all Gettext translations on the
system combined.

Furthermore, if one thinks of stripping the translation files from release
packages, or fetching them manually from the repo, that will not work
properly. There will be versioning mismatches, and some files will be
omitted, as PO files are not the only translation-related files. So this
should be done only with a much stronger reason than disk usage.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)