about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:20:38 UTC 2015

On Wednesday December 16 2015 09:03:53 David Faure wrote:

> Yep, remove them if you don't want them, but then your users are going to complain, unless you provide them separately.

I think I implied in my original message that I consider providing them separately the ideal solution ;)
Sadly such an approach is far from trivial to implement (all the more with MacPorts) if the source files are scattered over individual packages instead of being available as complete bundles like they used to be. Or am I missing something?

> The overhead is minimal and allows for modularity.

Overhead in terms of bytes, sure. Overhead in terms of the number of blocks used for those small files is a different thing. A matter of principle I consider more important than, say, strict adherence to code formatting.
It's a gripe I also have with Apple - but at least there one can understand it from a vendor who also sells disks and laptops with non replaceable disks (despite choice during the initial OS install all updates and downloads contain all supported languages - minus en_GB... - and Xcode contains several gigabytes of SDKs many will never use).

Again, for the vast majority of users, the vast majority of included languages ranges from moderate to utterly exotic, and if I weren't sticking to cheap, big spinning storage myself I'd be really annoyed to be obliged to waste precious SDD blocks.

Cheers,
R.