about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:19:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

The KDE4 approach to internationalisation (sic :)) had the huge advantage that it was rather trivial to provide installer packages for individual languages so users could install only those few languages they would actually use.
It seems that with KF5 we have gotten back in the situation where you get every possible language installed. Now that may be nice for the occasional office prank, but it'll end up amounting to a significant disk overhead (the one that comes with lots of small files) for something that has absolutely no use for the vast majority of users.

Is there some central mechanism to control which languages are installed? Looking at KF5I18NMacros it would seem that there's only an external "central mechanism"; binning the unwanted files before building...

Thanks,
René