RFC: split platformtheme plugin from frameworkintegration and move to kde/workspace

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Dec 9 07:24:48 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:03:47 PM CET Mark Gaiser wrote:
> I thought the frameworkintegration plugin was exactly that and usable for
> any platform if they wish to use it.
> Or is my assumption wrong and is it really only for Plasma and should
> others stay away from it?

well obviously it's only for plasma as it's bound to env variables set by
startkde. And in 4.x time the qpt plugin was in kde-workspace repo, see:
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-workspace.git&a=blob&h=4f67cc55104fe1081b05d381e9516e0215f8e24a&hb=1b97d4427257120e305408404bff5ec6be0b65a9&f=qguiplatformplugin_kde
%2Fqguiplatformplugin_kde.cpp

> My assumption can very well be wrong, but then i think we need to have a
> "base" frameworkintegration that every app dev can use with or without
> plasma. And a plasma specific version that integrates more in plasma i
> suppose.

I don't think it's anything an app developer should care about. It's
integration, that's not something the app developer picks - otherwise the app
breaks on integrating with other platforms.

> I don't care for that either. It's logical and to be expected.
> I do care when i want to use the KF5 filedialog and need to install plasma
> (which has absolutely nothing to do with the dialog) just to get it.
> With "use" i mean the file open dialog, not the ones you can just call from
> the C++ side of things.
>
> And i definitely do not want to make a QPA just to have that working.

Well you have to. The file dialog is part of integration. If you want to have
a specific integration you need to provide a QPT (not QPA) plugin. Application
developers must keep away from that.

Please also read up on the topic of why KFileDialog got removed from our API.

Cheers
Martin