kpty/utempter

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 08:22:36 UTC 2015

On Sunday December 06 2015 22:10:03 David Faure wrote:

>> Question is, what are we missing out on without it? Is this what kdesu is based on, for instance?
>
>It's just about logging, so "based on" is not really true. I'm pretty sure kdesu works even without logging to utmp.

OK, so there must be another reason why it's not fully functional on OS X (supposedly, but the fact there's only a kdesu stub exec doesn't bode well).
I'll investigate in due time.

>But I don't really need to tell you any of this, given that you can read :-)

Indeed, but reading an email is so much more efficient than reading certain other forms of prose ... and besides, where's the fun if someone can't say "told ya" later on? ;)

R.