Minimum supported version of MSVC for frameworks

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:36:58 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 16 August 2015 11:19:39 Alex Merry wrote:
> > On 2015-08-13 09:57, Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> > > ‎Hi,
> > >
> > > My experience with MSVC 2013 was that you even need at least Update 4
> > > for initializer lists to work properly, which was released quite
> > > recently iirc.
> >
> > And even then, initializer lists don't work in all circumstances
> > (specifically in member initialization like
> > struct foo {
> >    int bar[3] = {1, 2, 3};
> > };
> > ).
> >
> > Actually, if you do use MSVC 2013, always make sure you install Update
> > 4, otherwise the compiler's really quite broken (even generating double
> > destructor calls in some circumstances). I don't think it's unreasonable
> > to refuse to support MSVC 2013 without update 4.
>
> Yep, I know.
>
> So can we come to an agreement we would be better off raising the required
> version to MSVC2013? I feel like people don't really want to revert the
> C++11
> portions of code they've written until now anyway...
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> So the frameworks requirement went from MSVC 2010 (initially) to 2012 and
now to 2013. All without a major frameworks version change.
GCC and Clang remained the same as far as i can tell.

I'm all for kicking out old crappy compilers.

But if we can rely on MSVC 2013 update 4 (which was released on 12 Nov
2014) then i think we should also update Clang and GCC from a comparable
timeframe.
Clang would then be at 3.5 (currently 3.1). 3.5 was released on 03 Sep 2014.
GCC would then be at 4.9.2 (currently 4.5). 4.9.2 was released on 30 Okt
2014.

But frankly - and i hate telling this - it also would be weird for
framework users (that might not have the liberty of going beyond MSVC 2012)
to update our compiler requirement again without a major version bump.
We've done it before, should we do it again? I think not. I expect the
compiler versions to be bumped again anyway when Qt is at version 5.8 or so
since Qt 5.7 will bump the compiler requirements higher then the current
framework requirements.

It might be best to not bump any compiler versions now and just follow Qt
when they bump.