Versioning of Frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 19:43:20 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 29 April 2015 11:24:48 Kevin Funk wrote:
> Use-case: Potential contributor working on KDevelop:
> - Has KF5 installed from distro packages
> - KDevelop/KDevPlatform compiled from Git
> - There's a bug in ktexteditor (tier 3)
> - Likes to checkout just ktexteditor, fix the issue, compile, install and
> use  it
>
> Well, this doesn't work b/c ktexteditor master usually depends on a "too
> recent version" of its dependencies. So there are two options to still
> compile  ktexteditor:
>
> a) Compile the complete KF5 set, master branch (exhausting)
> b) Hack CMakeLists.txt and change KF5_DEP_VERSION (quick & dirty way)

If this contributor was trying to fix a bug in a Qt module, he would
experience the exact same thing.
QtAnything 5.5 cannot be compiled with QtBase 5.2.

> I also think this somehow defeats the purpose of the splitting we've done
> when  you still have to make sure versions of the individual frameworks
> have to be identical...

So do you also think that Qt failed with the module split ?

I disagree. The point (both for Qt and for Frameworks) is that any app can
decide to use only what they need.

Having to use up-to-date enough versions of the dependent modules does not
defeat that purpose.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5