There's no proper replacement for KIcon

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Sep 11 15:56:38 UTC 2014

On 11.09.2014 17:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hicolor is there for cases where the setup fails to provide any workspace or
> distribution specific theme.

Yes. So I'm thinking ahead and telling you how that "setup" looks
like for a workspace:

- Write a Qt platform plugin. Needs coding chops. We have them. What
   about workspaces which don't? What about all the other toolkits be-
   sides Qt?

- Swap out icons in hicolor.

Which do you think happens?

> But why not just have your theme as an explicit theme like everyone else and
> only get your theme in case the fallback path is triggered?

Because making Qt aware of an explicit theme involves writing a Qt
platform plugin. It means if you're a sys admin / distro you can no
longer solve your problem on the spec level (unless you swap out
icons in hicolor), you need to be aware Qt exists. Seems like a
layering violation to me.

> Sharing a setting that indicates a default theme name is of course a good
> goal, doesn't however fix the problem of the fallback being incomplete.

No, but it makes it a lot easier for distros to provide a complete
fallback (-> installing Oxygen or something else, setting it as
preferred fallback). It's less work than maintaining a complete hi-
color no one can agree on.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Cheers,