Compression of SVG(Z)s in git repositories

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:50:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 02, 2014 16:50:35 Elias Probst wrote:

>> > which is not an argument against storing them as SVG in the repository.
>> > There  could be a pre-install task in CMake which compresses them.
>>
>> Exactly. This might make sense to be placed in ECM to avoid duplication
>> of this functionality all over the place.
>>
>> > I think Elias suggestion makes sense on the git repository level, we just
>> > need  to first put in place the CMake bits to ensure the installed files
>> > are still svgz.
>>
>> What I forgot to mention in my initial mail:
>> This should be only enforced by the git push hook for newly added files,
>> so a quick change to an existing file doesn't require one to rename it etc.
>
> I wonder if the compression is simply using zip, or if one would need inkscape
> to compress the SVG to SVGZ. In the latter case, we'd have to add inkscape to
> our build requirements, which is not something that sounds desirable to me.

Looks like it's neither.
>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics#Compression
quote: "When an SVG image has been compressed with the industry
standard gzip algorithm, it is referred to as an "SVGZ" image and uses
the corresponding .svgz"

I wonder if the extension "SVGZ" should be read as: "Scalable Vector GZip" ;-)

Or in other terms it's not an issue.