Problem with kdeinit and StartupInfo

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sat Oct 4 11:47:48 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-04 10:08, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 03 October 2014 12:15:09 Alex Merry wrote:
>> Note that KDBusService has a known limitation where it just doesn't
>> work
>> with startup notifications in unique mode - the necessary information
>> is
>> never passed to the main application by the secondary instance.
>
> I lost track a bit there -- do you know what's missing for this to
> happen?

It's been so long since I looked at it, I can't really remember. I think
the conclusion was that attempting to support the existing startup
notification scheme was incredibly difficult/impossible due to a
combination of how the X11 Qt platform plugin handles it and the
KDBusAddons non-gui requirement. So the idea was to try to forge ahead
with a D-Bus based alternative (which would also work on Wayland), but
that stalled.

I have an email from Ryan Lortie from a year ago about it, and about
GNOME's implementation & plans, but it's taken a back seat to other
things. I may get round to revisiting it at some point, but if someone
is keen to take it on, I can forward the email (which I think was also
CCd to some XDG list or other).

Alex