FAM in kdirwatch

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Fri Nov 28 23:56:42 UTC 2014

On November 28, 2014 01:16:02 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> At Kubuntu we're trying to work out if we want kcoreaddons to build-dep on
> FAM.
>
> FAM isn't used if inotify is available and kdelibs never built against FAM.
>
> But we had this bug report about FAM being needed for NFS
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde4libs/+bug/525005
> will build-dep on FAM fix uses using NFS and are there any downsides to
> building with FAM?
Be careful with FAM on local file systems if you use the old FAM daemon.
There is a bug in either FAM or the kernel that breaks FAM's use of dnotify.
Gamin doesn't suffer this issue on local disks (as it uses inotify).  I don't
know if this would affect NFS users in either program.

I've been meaning to dig deeper and find out what is going on, I just haven't
had time.
--
Matthew