Where are my systray icons cont'd

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 15:49:51 UTC 2014

On Thursday 27 November 2014 21:10:10 Kevin Funk wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I'm still missing my beloved systray icons for a few applications in Plasma
> 5 on Ubuntu 14.10 (using distro provided packages).
>
> I have every package installed according to [1] (sni-qt, libindicator*), but
> still, systray icons for Pidgin or Skype won't show up. Also see [2].
>
> What am I doing wrong? :)
>
> PS: I really don't have a clue about implementation details here, so any
> hints are more than welcome.
> PPS: Doesn't seem distro-related, Helio has the same issues on Fedora, self-
> compiled Plasma 5
>
> [1]
> http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/06/where-are-my-systray-icons/
> [2] https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16456

Alright. I fixed my issue with "Pidgin" by installing another plugin:
Installed the 'pidgin-indicator' plugin [1], which provides an AppIndicator.

PS: IOW that means, Xembed-based icons still don't seem to work for me. Is
this an Ubuntu-only problem or am I missing something? (I have a Qt5-based
app, using QSystemTrayIcon, whose systray icon doesn't show up)

[1] http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/pidgin-indicator-ubuntu-appindicator.html