pkexec vs kdesu

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 09:31:32 UTC 2014

On Sunday 23 November 2014 17:14:02 Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM, David Edmundson
>
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> > You will probably get massively different behaviour regarding your env.
> >
> > pkexec won't copy anything, sudo will.
> > Without $DISPLAY graphical apps are out.
>
> Surely not an unsolvable problem. Clearly wayland fixes this ;)

even if it's meant as a joke, I must point out that the opposite is the case
here: it will horribly fail on Wayland if it assumes a $DISPLAY!

Also I must point out that there are horrible interaction problems on the X11
platform. KWin does not get enough information to prevent focus stealing
prevention from kicking in and thus the dialogs do not get focus. This problem
(to my knowledge) does not appear with kdesu. Thus I would consider switching
all kdesu to polkit as a regression. This is a long standing issue which must
be fixed by polkit and hasn't been addressed in years although the problem and
how to solve had been explained by the current and previous KWin maintainer.

This problem is not unique to polkit, to be fair. We see the same problem with
akonadi asking for passwords and also with the GPG ask dialog.

Cheers
Martin