[RFC] [kservice] KPluginMetadata indexing

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Nov 16 12:31:46 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 06, 2014 17:06:38 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> Ah right, i think i missed the I/O reducing goal in your initial post.
>
> I haven't checked your draft implementation in detail, but what you
> might want to do is:
> - Monitor all plugin folders for changes
> - If a change in any of the folders is detected: rebuild cache.
>
> That should keep the cache updated in a fairly easy way and remove the
> need to have a tool at all.
> You could do it more fine grained and only update the cache for the
> plugin that changed. It will be a bit more tricky to implement.
>
> Just an idea, but i hope it helps.

I haven't worked on that at all, it's the kind of integration work to do once
we nailed down the overall mechanics. I'd actually prefer if we could rely on
the index updater run at install time, and assume caches are always correct.
If that's realistic, we'll find out (hopefully during discussions rather than
by bugreports and broken systems ;)).

The problem with the change detection is of course
- Which process is the one watching?
- What to do when this process is not running during plugin installation?
(User could be logged out, for example)

I'd like to avoid having to run the updater on login, as that slows down that
process. While the updater is "quite fast", everything involving I/O at login
is not really welcome.

As I said, that's something to think about in a second stage, the above is my
braindump, personal impression of it.

Cheers,
--
sebas