libnm-qt - a new KF5 framework for Tier 1?

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 14:15:30 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

we would like to finally move on with our libnm-qt library and become a part of
KDE Frameworks 5. We plan do the same with libmm-qt, but we don't have proper
unit tests yet so let's just do this one first. If you don't know, libnm-qt
(NetworkManagerQt) is a dbus wrapper for NetworkManager. It has implemented
everything what NetworkManager provides on dbus + some useful things which we
added for our purposes. It depends just on Qt and NetworkManager so it could
be in Tier  1 as an integration framework. This library is mainly used in
plasma-nm, but I can imagine using it in more places for checking
NetworkManager status, connectivity and so on. We have unit tests for almost
all connection settings (like wired, wireless, ipv4 and so on) and a few unit
tests for the most common parts like adding/removing devices/connections and
activating/deactivating connections. More unit tests will be added in future,
but I think it should be enough for now.

I would be happy if you could take a look and tell us what we should change,
what we are missing, what is wrong so we can move on. We would also need help
with documentation to make it available on api.kde.org.

Here is our library http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=libnm-qt.git

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Jan