Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 13:35:07 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Wednesday 05 November 2014 09:25:27 Mirko Boehm wrote:
> > On 05 Nov 2014, at 09:02, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> >> I propose to bump the required compiler versions across the board to
> >> compilers that fully 100% implement C++11. It is 2014 and C++14 is
> >> finalised. And we are a Free Software project and none of our compilers
> >> have any problems with that.
> >
> > In the case of VC there's no such compiler yet. Even VS2013 is not 100%
> > compliant.
>
> There will always be small differences.

We're not talking about small differences here. We're talking about boatloads
of unusable features.

> From what I can tell, those Windows developers that contribute use more
> modern VC compilers than 2010.

That's why I said let's bump it to 2012 in my previous email:
"I'd then propose as a possibility a more reasoned approach: bump the
dependency from VC2010 to VC2012, in turn white list more of the C++11
features."

I see 2013 almost nowhere yet. VS14 is not out yet, that's the only one which
will be fully compliant.

VS2012 hits the sweet spot of being relatively widespread while starting to
have a useful subset of C++11 (case in point ktexteditor which prompted this
thread builds with it).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net