Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 07:58:04 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 05 November 2014 08:53:42 Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On 05 Nov 2014, at 04:33, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > So, I hereby propose making an exception and bumping the minimum
> > compiler version *for ktexteditor only* to MSVC2012. Opinions?
>
> I propose to bump the required compiler versions across the board to
> compilers that fully 100% implement C++11. It is 2014 and C++14 is
> finalised. And we are a Free Software project and none of our compilers
> have any problems with that.

I support this. I'm currently facing the problem that at some point we might
want kwayland to become a framework to be able to be used in
kwindowsystem. But the compiler requirements would not allow it, although it
doesn't make any sense for the case of kwayland (nobody is going to use that
on Windows).

So in stead of adding one exception after the other, just go the full way and
raise the requirement.

The fact that we don't have a CI to test it just shows even more that we need
to raise the minimum requirement.

Cheers
Martin