CMake package files location

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sun May 18 14:36:38 UTC 2014

I'm reviewing the frameworks I maintain, and one of things listed that I
should check is the directory structure:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies#Framework_directory_structure

This has the line "CMake modules (FindFoo.cmake etc.) or CMake macro
files go into cmake subdirectory". Now, I'm not sure whether
KF5DesignerPluginMacros.cmake should go in a cmake/ subdirectory, or in
the root directory with KF5DesginerPluginConfig.cmake.in (since it is
installed alongside that file. The frameworks are not consistent on this
point.

My view is that all the package files (those installed to
$PREFIX/lib/cmake/PackageName) should live in the same place, whether
that is in the root directory or in the cmake directory. Also, we should
be consistent on this location, and document it.

I don't have a strong preference for whether these files go into cmake/
or not, but I'm going to adopt the default position of saying they
should go in the root directory (including KF5FooMacros.cmake), as that
involves the least work.

Does anyone object to this?

Alex