Deprecation Defines

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Mon May 5 06:27:17 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I was looking into my frameworks, to prepare them for the 5.0.  One thing was
looking into was the deprecation defines.  In KConfig, there are a couple of
defines to disable deprecated functions:
 - KDE_NO_DEPRECATED
 - KCONFIGCORE_NO_DEPRECATED
 - KCONFIGGUI_NO_DEPRECATED
Where KDE_NO_DEPRECATED seems to be from kdelibs, and KCONFIG*_NO_DEPRECATED
are from cmake's generate_export_header function.  Going forward, which is
considered to be the correct way to have deprecated pieces of code excluded
from the build?

And: If generate_export_header is used, should all frameworks be extended with
a switch to easily enable/disable its deprecation exclusion defines?  If
KDE_NO_DEPRECATED is preferred, should ecm be extended with a similar
function?

Thanks,
--
Matthew