Usage of ~/.config vs ~/.config/kde.org

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun May 4 18:28:47 UTC 2014

On Saturday 03 May 2014 18:25:15 Elias Probst wrote:
> Currently all KF5/Workspaces configuration files end up in ~/.config.
>
> Looking at my personal ~/.config, it seems that nearly all other
> applications and desktop-environments make use of a subdirectory to
> prevent "spamming" the toplevel directory and isolate the related config
> files nicely.
>
> Compared to the situation of KDE SC 4.x where everything was nicely
> separated in ~/.kde/share/config the current situation is IMHO rather
> unsatisfying and makes e.g. resetting/backing up/etc. a user's complete
> KF5/Workspaces configuration really hard as one cannot simply target a
> single directory like ~/.config/kde.org/
>
> In case this should be done, it needs to be done before the first final
> release, otherwise migrating this over at a later point will be a major
> PITA.
>
> What are your thoughts regarding this situation?

I agree.

Of course "kde.org" shouldn't be litterally kde.org in the code, but rather
"the organization domain set in QCoreApplication". Which we would then have to
ensure is kde.org in our apps ;)

https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117989/

Tested: http://www.davidfaure.fr/2014/domainname_test.diff

Working on KDE Frameworks 5