KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun May 4 17:42:57 UTC 2014

David Faure ha scritto:
> [Cross posting against my will...]
>
> On Sunday 04 May 2014 16:27:44 Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> I understand that the big concern was about the testing: stable branches did
>> not receive the same attention
>
> This is not the main concern.
>
> My main concern is that application developers prefer to work around bugs in
> KF5 (previously: kdelibs) rather than fix things at the right level, because
> "fixes in KF5 will only be available in 6 months, and I want the bug fixed
> now".
>
> Your suggestion (6-months "stable" release) brings us back to exactly that.
>
> We'd like to try something better. Monthly small increments.
> Never "big" changes that break things, they get cut into small increments too.
> So no reason to buffer changes for 6 months.

I think that application developers relying on distributions packages will
continue to workaround to have application working on their reference
distribution. If they were able to provide patches in libraries before
(kdelibs4), they will continue to do so, of course, but otherwise I don't see
too many changes. Not everyone is on rolling distributions or Windows or MacOSX.

Ciao
--
Luigi