Writing a Frameworks book at Randa

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun May 4 07:12:40 UTC 2014

On Thursday 24 April 2014 02:24:05 Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> I was excited to hear David Narvaez' ideas about what the book should
> be. It sounds like the focus is happening. However, not many people
> have committed to come to Randa and get this book started.
>
> Right now there is one person on https://sprints.kde.org/sprint/212
> listing kdebooks as their task. I can ask other people to come to
> Randa to help shape the text, but we *must* have Frameworks people
> committed to this project to make it happen.
>
> The deadline for signing up is approaching. Please sign up now if you
> intend to come to write. The e.V. and other funders will support us if
> we step up; but I will not waste their money by flying to Switzerland
> without a committed group of writers.

While working on Inqlude I realized that the presentation of the framework
still needs a lot of love. A book could be a great part of that. I would hope
for something which gets people started, provides them the entry points and
background they need, and contains some practical examples how to work with
the frameworks. Especially examples could also get a life on their own and be
maintained and used beyond the book as introduction for people starting to use
the frameworks.

I would be happy to help with this effort and will sign up for the meeting
now.